It’s never stopped being my favorite. Not only is it decadent chocolaty goodness, it’s super GOOD for you too.
Only, a year later, I’ve learned to dress it up by adding in a little of this and that to make it even better, and this particular combo is chock full of SUPERFOOD goodness. What is a superfood, you ask? Loads of antioxidants, dense nutrients, and disease-fighting properties, that’s what.
Let’s take a look at the superfood ingredients I’ve added…
Pecans are my favorite, and I try to sneak them into everything. They contain calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and selenium. They are an exceptionally rich source of manganese. Like all nuts from large trees, whose roots extend far down into the earth, pecans are good sources of trace minerals. They contain B complex vitamins, carotenoids and vitamin C in small amounts.
Chia seeds are so potent and packed with nutrition that a tablespoon or two can fuel a runner for an entire day. They’re rich in Omega 3s, have double the protein of any other seed, five times the calcium of milk, and other important minerals like magnesium, phosphorus, manganese, copper, iron, molybdenum, and zinc, and B vitamins. Plus they just add a really great crunch to your Skinny Chocolate.
I’ve been talking about my great love for coconut oil and all its incredible health benefits for years, and I don’t have room in one paragraph to delve into all the facts. But I’ll just say that in cultures where the coconut is a prominent part of the menu, cancer rates are the lowest. It’s GOOD for you, and my favorite comes from Tropical Traditions.
Yes, even cocoa is full of antioxidants! Ten times the amount in blueberries, three times the amount in green tea, double the amount in red wine. WHO KNEW? Cocoa is a natural antidepressant, it’s good for your heart, it boosts energy, and improves sensitivity to insulin which can help you LOSE WEIGHT. For real.
So mix some of this up and do amazing things for yourself.
*All links to hosting companies on this site are affiliate links. If you click them, and later decide to purchase services from that hosting company, we receive a commission. The commissions are paid from the hosting companies’ revenue and have no effect on prices you pay.
- 1 Cup Coconut Oil (Tropical Traditions Gold Label is my favorite)
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa
- 2 Tablespoons Organic Birch Xylitol*
- 1/2 Cup Dried Coconut Flakes
- 1/2 Cup Coarsely Chopped Pecans
- 1/4 Cup Chia Seeds
- Line 24 mini muffin pan cups with a paper liner; set aside.
- Allow coconut oil to liquefy (warm over low heat in a saucepan if necessary) then combine remaining ingredients, mixing until evenly distributed.
- Drop mixture by tablespoon into muffin cups; place muffin tin in refrigerator to harden.
- Store in refrigerator.
- - See more at: http://freecoconutrecipes.com/superfood-chocolate-cups/#sthash.3ZMrTkTW.dpuf
- *Feel free to substitute a natural sweetener of your choice. Organic whole sugar is a good choice for those not following the Trim Healthy Mama plan.